Why Orange Juice?
Orange juice is a staple drink in the United States. It is common to have with breakfast or when you’re recovering from an illness. The health benefits of orange juice are very well-known. However, the orange juice that people typically buy from stores can be packed with sugar or made from concentrate. Raw orange juice maintains all of its nutritional benefits without the added sugar. Not to mention, it tastes delicious and can be mixed with other juices to create a great blend with exceptional health properties.
The Joys of Vitamin C
Raw orange juice can contain almost 71% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C in a single glass. It is a surefire way to hit your diet goals. However, most people are unfamiliar with what exactly vitamin C does for your overall health. Here are some of the health advantages of the vitamin C that is found in orange juice:
- Improves Skin Health – If you are suffering from the natural effects of aging such as wrinkles and crows feet, look to orange juice to improve your skin’s appearance. Vitamin C is necessary for the synthesis of collagen. This substance is responsible for the skin’s elasticity. More collagen means healthier and more youthful-looking skin. Prevent and improve damage to your skin by adding orange juice to your diet.
- Detoxes Your Body – Vitamin C is one of the main antioxidants that are essential to removing toxins from the body. The liver is made especially for this task, but maintaining a healthy diet that is rich in vitamin C can help it to perform more efficiently.
- Reduces inflammation – “Free radicals” are toxins that can cause the body to have an inflammatory response. As vitamin C is an antioxidant, it helps to remove or destroy the toxins in the body, therefore, reducing the amount of inflammation that occurs for this reason.
- Boosts your immune system – You can’t take vitamin C to cure a cold. However, vitamin C does help to improve the function of your immune system. It aids the cells of the immune system performing the functions that keep you healthy.
One of the benefits of orange juice is that it is a low-calorie drink. The fruit is mostly made up of water, so there is no need to feel guilty for grabbing a glass of its juice. Whether your reason for adding raw fruit or vegetable juices to your diet is to eat a more balanced diet or to lose weight, you can’t go wrong with orange juice.
Orange juice is also rich in potassium, an essential nutrient in the body. Potassium is responsible for helping to fuel the body. It is also known for aiding in the recovery process of athletes and those who work out. While the typical suggestion for a pre- or post-workout snack is a banana, orange juice will do just as well, without causing you to bloat.
If you are at risk for heart disease or simply would like to be more conscious of your heart’s health, a glass of orange juice benefits the heart in several ways. Orange juice contains the antioxidant hesperidin. This antioxidant is helpful in improving the function of the body’s blood vessels and lowers your risk of developing heart disease. Research has shown that hesperidin lowers blood pressure as it has been shown to thin blood. This eases the pressure of the blood against artery walls.
A significant benefit of orange juice is its high acidity levels. The acidity in orange juice, in the form of citrates and citric acid, has been shown to improve and prevent the formation of kidney stones. Kidney stones are small packed crystal-like deposits of the minerals found in your kidneys and urine. Kidney stones can form as a result of dehydration. Drinking raw orange juice keeps you hydrated. The acid in orange juice prevents urine from being oversaturated and prevents the growth of the crystals.
Do you need more motivation to drink raw orange juice? A Nation Health and Nutrition Examination Survey that was conducted has shown that drinking orange juice is associated with numerous benefits. These include:
- A healthier, more balanced diet
- Lowered risk of becoming obese
- Better health biomarkers
- An improved intake of nutrients
Raw orange juice is a great addition to any diet. It’s numerous benefits and convenience make it a great choice for anyone who wants to improve their health. Work towards a better you and add a cup of raw orange juice to your daily routine. Grab a cup today!